Foreign Body in the Ear Canal (Removed)

The outer ear canal

An object has been removed from the ear canal. A foreign body in the ear can lead to irritation. Sometimes this can cause infection in the outer ear canal.

Home care

  • If prescription ear drops have been given, use these as directed. Don't get water in your ear for the next 5 days. (Don't go swimming for 5 days.)

  • You may use acetaminophen, naproxen, or ibuprofen to control pain, unless another pain medicine was prescribed. Talk with your healthcare provider before taking these medicines if you have chronic liver or kidney disease, or if you have ever had a stomach ulcer or digestive bleeding.

Follow-up care

Follow up with your healthcare provider, or as advised.

When to seek medical advice

Call your healthcare provider right away if any of these occur

  • Ear pain, itching, or discharge

  • Redness or swelling of the outer ear

  • Blood or fluid draining from the ear

  • Persistent hearing loss

  • Fever of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher , or as directed by your healthcare provider

© 2000-2021 The StayWell Company, LLC. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
Powered by Krames Patient Education - A Product of StayWell